Wednesday, February 24, 2010

less than 2 months now!

I cannot WAIT until our Kentucky trip in April! Seriously, I am getting so antsy waiting. I don't even have anything left to plan so it feels like time is dragging even more slowly. Here's what we have planned so far:

Mon. 4/19 - fly into Cincinnati and have dinner at Montgomery Inn, a great place for ribs, overlooking the Ohio River. From there it's about an hour and a half drive to Lexington.

Tues. 4/20 - drive to Louisville and tour Churchill Downs, the racetrack where the Kentucky Derby is held. We'll take our time coming back and check out some State Parks - maybe the My Old Kentucky Home State Park, which is located where Stephen Foster penned Kentucky's state song.

Wed. 4/21 - tour Thoroughbred breeding farm Three Chimneys where horses like Point Given, Smarty Jones and Big Brown stand at stud. I've visited the farm twice before and I think it's a great place for a "semi"-horse husband to learn a little more about the business.

Thurs. 4/22 - day 1 of the Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event, dressage. I know Nathan will probably get bored of dressage fairly quickly, so we'll go see the rest of the Kentucky Horse Park - visit Cigar, look through the Breed's Barn, etc.

Fri. 4/23 - closing day of the Keeneland spring meet. We get to dress up for lunch in the clubhouse, overlooking the paddock where the horses get ready for their races. I want Nathan to get a feel for racing and I don't think there's any better place than this beautiful old track.

Sat. 4/24 - this is the day that I'm looking forward to the most, day 2 of the Rolex, cross country. This is what sets eventing apart from other horse disciplines. I want to walk all around the course and see as much of it as possible.

Sun. 4/25 - last day of the Rolex, show jumping, and the awards ceremony. I didn't get to see this the last time out so I'm really excited. It will also mean more to me this year, I think, because I've been jumping for the past year. Granted, four-star show jumping is a little different from pre-adult hunter, but it's closer than trotting down a trail.

Mon. 4/26 - fly home.

It's going to be so great! I've tried really hard to plan a trip that Nathan will enjoy. Since the first time I visited Kentucky, back in 1997, I've felt a very close connection with it. I just felt like I fit in - I instinctively knew my way around, the people that I met wanted to talk horses with me at length, and the rolling hills we drove past seemed to soothe me. I want Nathan to connect with it, too, so that we might be able to live there someday.

1 comment:

  1. We're so excited that you're coming to Lexington! Let us know if we can be of any help.
    -Lexington Convention and Visitors Bureau
    (800)845-3959
    www.visitlex.com

    ReplyDelete