Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I DID IT!


!!I JUMPED 3' TONIGHT!!

Not that it was a thing of tremendous beauty, mind you, but it was still amazing! Actually, today at the barn was overall just fabulous. Gave Keenan a bath so now he's all sparkly and white, had a great ride on Rapper and then such a fulfilling lesson! I swear, every Wednesday out there is better than the last. I feel like on Tuesdays, sometimes Thursdays and Fridays, I'm always so rushed. On Wednesdays, I literally can take all the time in the world to get things done.

I am really enjoying Rapper lately, too. Since we brought him to TREC back in October, he's continued to improve. He's such a happy and stable horse now. Granted, he still has his nuerotic moments (who doesn't?) but in general, he's come so far. Take today: we walked, trotted and cantered around, like usual, and after a very thorough warm-up he just suddenly dropped his head, settled into a frame and stretched out into an absolutely lovely trot. Then I decided to make things a little more interesting. We trotted over some ground poles, picked up a canter and came around and cantered over one more. Then I rode him up the driveway and back without a single issue! I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but Rapper was a real mess before we moved him. He still has a long way to go, but he approaches new things with a curious attitude instead of being afraid. So exciting.

Obviously the highlight of the day was jumping 3'. It was just Kristine and I riding tonight and Kristine is jumping 3'6" with her horse Q. I wondered briefly if Sarah might have me move up and do something a little closer to Kristine's level, but I didn't think about it too long - better to focus on what I'm doing NOW, I've found. But sure enough, after we'd done some exercises and a couple courses, Sarah had me add in a line of two 3' jumps - a vertical and an oxer. The first couple of times didn't go so smoothly - I got too distracted by the height, I wasn't prepared for Keenan's extra effort over the fence and my heels popped up, and I didn't allow him to go forward enough in the last stride before the fence. But I fixed all those things, and my third time was fantastic! I'm glad to still be jumping 2'6" - I didn't get a full season in that division last year (I started off in Long Stirrup, which is 2') so I'm happy to get that this year.

Finally, I just want to commemorate my two wonderful horsies, both of whom have birthdays this month! Rapper turned 16 on March 8th and Keenan turns 13 tomorrow! Happy Birthday to my wonderful boys!!

AAF Kaset, Rapper's paternal grandsire. He was foaled in 1980 and won a world championship in 1984.

Keenan and Katherine winning up a storm! Hopefully that will be us this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment