Thursday, January 21, 2010

connections

I've been working on connecting with Keenan lately; getting him round and on the bit with his legs reaching more under him to give him more impulsion. Sarah started working with me on it about a month or so ago, but it's now just starting to make sense. And I'm starting to realize it's more than a horse dropping his head and lifting his back. When I connect with Keenan, he's more ready to go where I ask and adjust his step if need be. It is literally like we're having a conversation - one of those good ones, with lots of witty banter and "oh my gosh, I used to love that show when I was a kid, too!!" The last two lessons have been stupendous because I haven't been trying to boss him around and say "this is where I want to go," but talk to him and say "this is where we should go together." And after every course, when we stop to let the next pair go, he turns around and nudges my boot...and then turns around and nudges the other boot - like he's patting my back and saying "I liked that, well done Mom." It's an amazing feeling having such a great teammate.

No comments:

Post a Comment